Resources for Partners
Equal Opportunity Schools is providing access to these resources for our partner districts and schools. Please contact your Partnership Director if you have any questions.
Advocacy and Outreach Materials:
- Advocacy and Outreach Guide: This is a comprehensive guide to developing equitable enrollment in your Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs through intentional outreach to and recruitment of students of color and low-income students. Timelines, step-by-step instructions, and downloadable templates are included for creating your outreach plan, training staff to hold conversations with identified students about upper level coursework, and monitoring outreach progress among other topics.
- Developing your Outreach Plan:
- Reaching out to Students/Families:
- Template: Parent Letter (English): This template letter can be adapted for your use to send home to students’ parents or guardians, notifying them of their student’s identification as a candidate for AP/IB coursework and inviting them to an AP/IB parent/family night.
- Template: Parent Letter (Spanish): This template letter can be adapted for your use to send home to students’ parents or guardians, notifying them of their student’s identification as a candidate for AP/IB coursework and inviting them to an AP/IB parent/family night.
- Template: Student Letter: This letter can be adapted to your school’s context and sent to students on your Outreach List to congratulate them on being identified as candidates for AP/IB coursework and invite them to an upcoming AP/IB outreach assembly.
- AP/IB Outreach Assemblies:
- Sample PowerPoint: Large Group Outreach Assembly: One of our school partners graciously shared their excellent PowerPoint template for use in AP/IB Outreach assemblies. Download this template and adapt it however you see fit for use in your school.
- Sample Script: Large Group Outreach Assembly: This script is a companion to the Large Group Outreach Assembly PPT Template, and gives further context/examples for how one of our school partners chose to lead and facilitate their AP/IB Outreach assembly.
- Exit Slips: Template document that can be used to track student attendance and interest after a large group outreach event.
- Training Staff for Outreach Conversations:
- Template: Staff Letter: This letter can be adapted to your school’s context and used to notify staff members of their identification by students as “Trusted Adults” in the building. This letter asks staff to reach out to a set of students and provides resources for them to successfully engage in AP/IB outreach conversations.
- PPT Template: Staff Outreach Training: Downloadable PowerPoint Template to be used for introducing staff to EOS, training them on holding effective outreach conversations, and facilitating conversation practice through role-play.
- How-to Guide: Effective 1:1 Outreach Conversations: A two-page document covering the essential components of holding a motivational AP/IB outreach conversation with a student.
- Template: Tracker AP/IB Outreach Conversations: This Excel sheet can be used to track the outcomes of staff members’ conversations with students about AP/IB. It’s important to track these conversations to ensure that students are signed up for their AP/IB course interests.
Retention and Supports:
- Sample: AP/IB Request to Drop Form: Sample form for students who want to drop an AP/IB course that first has them hold discussions with various people and try different support options before being able to exit the course. The goal is to ensure that students are supported in every way possible to see their avenues for success in the course prior to making a decision about whether to drop.
- Sample Equity Pathways Report: See this document for a sample of one of our foundational diagnostic tools. Using data from student and staff surveys, this report uncovers student and staff perceptions of the AP/IB program(s) at the school. It highlights students’ educational aspirations and analyzes barriers that are preventing students from reaching their goals. EOS Partnership Directors and school equity teams will review this report together to make a plan for building off of what’s working well in the school environment and removing any barriers that have surfaced.